ASK: No veteran with a disability left to re-engage in society without being served through inclusive sport and recreation.
NEED: There are approximately 23.2 million military veterans in the United States with roughly 5.5 million reporting any type of disability. Of those, 1.8 million veterans report mental health problems. This workgroup was established to enable our injured soldiers, sailors, airmen and other veterans with disabilities to exercise and participate in sport and recreation again while providing hope and health on a variety of levels.
1. Develop a central hub where veterans with disabilities can seek information on sport, fitness, and recreation
2. Provide networking opportunities for veterans and a forum for communication about experiences with programs in the fitness, sport and recreational arena
3. Support the VA’s charge on mental health by developing awareness materials to reduce social stigmas associated with PTSD and other mental health issues
4. Facilitate healthy caregiving by gathering resources to support healthy and active lifestyles for caregivers working with a veteran with a disability
- Network with veteran organizations that provide services for veterans with disabilities pertaining to sport, fitness, and recreation
- Develop a communication forum and market to veteran service organizations
- Create a resource page on mental health affecting veterans and develop marketing materials for reducing social stigmas which may be associated with mental health
- Gather resources on healthy caregiving and develop resources specific to caregivers regarding veterans with a disability
If you are a veteran with a disability, professional working with veterans, or have a passion for serving veterans we invite you to join the workgroup!
This Workgroup meets via bi-monthly conference calls. Please follow this link to Join the Veterans Workgroup. The Veterans Workgroup is lead by Michael Paul, IFC appointed Workgroup Chair.
To view this Strategic Plan in PDF form for download and distribution follow the link.
Help us recruit new members for the Veterans Workgroup by distributing this flyer!