ASK: No person with a disability left out of health and fitness clubs due to lack of access.
NEED: People with disabilities continue to be excluded from health promotion and fitness because of the barriers they experience getting to and into facilities, finding accessible exercise equipment and programs, and locating a fitness professional who they can afford and is knowledgeable about their disability. This workgroup will focus on creating less unfriendly fitness and recreation environments for people with disabilities in order to impact the health risks associated with sedentary lifestyles often seen in this population.
1. Increase inclusion and reduce barriers faced by people with disabilities in health and fitness settings by providing various toolkits to educate a wide-range of target audiences including consumers, fitness professionals, and health club owners/staff.
2. Increase awareness of the Inclusive Fitness Coalition by providing information and resources at health/fitness conferences on a national level.
3. Address social stigmas through advocacy materials targeting people with disabilities in health and fitness settings
4. Support the new ASTM International standards on Inclusive Fitness Equipment
- Review ASTM Standards for Inclusive Fitness Equipment; create report for group; create user-friendly resources to support along with a marketing strategy
- Review and update Accessibility Toolkit
- Produce new toolkits- Topic: IDD/ Target Audience: Fitness Professionals; Topic: Inclusive Marketing/Target Audience: Health Club Owners;Topic: Disability Awareness/ Target Audience: Health club staff/Fitness Professionals
- Work with ACSM to support marketing and awareness initiatives for the Certified Inclusive Fitness Trainer (CIFT)
- Create catalog of current Health and Fitness conferences/events to disseminate IFC materials
- Strategize the development of advocacy materials and/or a social media campaign addressing social stigmas and empowering people with disabilities to know their rights and get active
If you have a passion and drive for impacting health promotion and fitness opportunities for people with disabilities, we invite you to join the Health and Fitness Workgroup!
This Workgroup meets via bi-monthly conference calls. Please follow this link to Join the Health and Fitness Workgroup.
To download the Health and Fitness Workgroup's Strategic Plan in a PDF format for distribution and sharing follow the link.
The Health and Fitness Workgroup is lead by Chris Mackey, IFC appointed Workgroup Chair.